I never gave carbon monoxide detectors a moments thought until I owned a home with a young baby. As I learned about all the things you need to learn after becoming a parent, you realize very quickly that making a home safe for a baby is not just about covering plugs and sharp edges, It is also about the dangers of carbon monoxide.
I was fortunate that the hard wired smoke detectors in my home were also carbon monoxide detectors. But even with one on each floor, I wanted to do more. In addition to the existing detectors, I installed a battery operated carbon monoxide detector in the babies room for an extra degree of protection. For a few extra dollars it was simply a no-brainer.
We do not have a boiler here or any other combustion based systems in the house that would produce carbon monoxide, but that did not matter. When you think about how fragile a child is versus the cost of adequately protecting your home with carbon monoxide detectors it is not even an argument.
In the 8.5 years my family and I have lived in our home, we have never had one of the detectors sound a warning alarm (as I predicted), but knowing they are there protecting us makes every penny spent on them worth it.
SOL Republic PUNK Bluetooth Wireless Speaker - ARV $69.99 (Ends 12/15) Winner Announced!
$100 Kohl's Gift Card (Ends 12/10) Winner Announced!
SOL Republic 'Music Made Me Do It' Prize Pack - ARV $700+ (Ends 12/8) Winner Announced!
Panasonic Link2Cell Bluetooth Phone System - ARV $119.99 (Ends 11/24) Winner Announced!