Yes, at first I was concerned that a toy recommended for children as young as 18 months would not be engaging to my preschoolers, but that was not the case at all. In fact, even my 6 year old son enjoyed playing with the farm.
I have found that some toys that are suitable for toddlers, may seem limiting to older children. This does not apply to Playmobil at all. All three of our children enjoyed playing with the Playmobil 1.2.3 Farm as much as they did with the Wild Life Care Station for ages 4 and up. As a parent, I like the farm better because there are no sharp parts or choking hazards.
My children's three favorite parts about the Playmobil Large Farm are the animals, the horse-drawn wagon, and the working pulley. They all have an innate desire to care for animals, since we have a pet-friendly household. The various farm animals and house pets, really tap into this desire. The wagon encourages interaction between the Playmobil figures. There is a seat on the saddle, a seat in the wagon, and then a third figure can be waiting to take whatever the wagon is delivering.
Of all the features, I think the pulley is the most enjoyable. We do not own any other toys with this feature. Our children have had so much fun transporting objects and figures up and down. The only thing lacking with the design of the pulley is a hook to secure the end. The objects are often too heavy for the lift to stay once it has been raised, so it just falls back down to the ground unless a child is holding the end of the cable.
There are a few other things I would like to point out about this playset . . .
- The grids on the ground are very easy to use. A young child can easily snap the furniture into place.
- All the windows open and close for realistic play.
- In addition to all the animals, this set comes with 3 figures, which kept the playing dispute-free.
- The Playmobil 1.2.3 figures are similar in size to the regular Playmobil figures, so my children can play with them altogether without too much noticeable difference.
- Best of all, everything fits right inside the farmhouse securely and both sides of the house fold up and snap shut.
The Playmobil 1.2.3 Large Farm retails for $54.99 and can be purchased right on the Playmobil Online Shop or at other major toy retailers, such as Amazon.com and Toys R Us.
Thank you to Playmobil for sending us a sample toy free of charge to base this review upon.