This scooter retails for approximately $69.99 and is very well-constructed. It definitely lives up to my expectations as far as Radio Flyer products go. By the time our kindergartner outgrows this scooter and is ready to try his hand at a skateboard, I am confident that we will be able to pass this down to his younger brother. Of course we will need to pick up a pink one for his younger sister as well.
Please take a minute to watch the EZ-Rider scooter in action:
Additional thoughts I had about this scooter:
1) I like that the handle height is fully adjustable. This guarantees that we will be able to pass this down to the twins without worrying if it is a good fit, like we might with a bicycle.
2) This toy does take practice to master. It requires balance to ride. I like that the deck is low to the ground. This really helps my son feel safer. Although he does not allow himself to glide with both feet on the deck for more than a foot at a time, his confidence is growing every time he rides his scooter.
3) One thing my son is having difficulty mastering is turning corners. He has not yet found the right combination of turning the handle while shifting his weight and maintaining balance all at the same time. I'm sure it will come in time.
4) The handles are just the right size for my son's hands and the padding makes them comfortable to grip.
5) I think that the deck of this scooter is large enough to accomodate a child up to 8 years old. Of course, every child is sized differently. If your child has larger feet, I would definitely consider trying this scooter out in a store prior to purchasing.
6) The large wide wheels offer a smooth ride and offer much more balance than the tiny wheels on a skateboard would.
7) I cannot forget to mention that this scooter folds down so it is easy to throw in your trunk for a trip to the park and is compact enough to store without any hassles at home. We actually put ours right inside our Radio Flyer wagon when it's not in use.
I think the EZ-Rider scooter is a perfect alternative for a child like my son, who has not shown too much interest in learning to ride his bike. Depending on your child's age, this scooter will provide many years of play, especially if there are younger siblings involved.
You should be able to find this scooter at most major retailers of Radio Flyer products, including Toys R Us, Target, Walmart, Amazon.com, and Sears.
Thank you to Radio Flyer for providing us with both a review product and a contest prize free of charge.
What you can win:
One lucky reader will receive a red Radio Flyer EZ-Rider Scooter.
This giveaway is open to U.S. addresses only. You do not need to be a blogger to enter, but you must have a valid email address and be age 18 years or older. If you enter anonymously and do not include a valid email address in your comment entries, I will not be able to notify you should you win this random drawing.
How to Gain Entries:
Browse the selection of Radio Flyer products. Then leave a comment telling me what Radio Flyer product would you have been thrilled to own as child (aside from the scooter reviewed here today). You MUST do this to be eligible to win this contest.
1) For 5 extra entries, leave a relevant comment on one of my non-giveaway posts. Then leave FIVE separate comments with the name of the post on which you commented. You will earn 5 extra entries for each different non-contest post you comment on.
2) For 5 extra entries, enter one of my other contests. Leave FIVE separate comments here telling me which contest you entered. You will earn 5 extra entries for each contest you enter.
3) For 10 extra entries, blog about this contest linking back to this post AND Radio Flyer. Then come back here and leave TEN separate comments with the link to your blog post.
4) Friend me on Facebook. Then leave a separate comment with the link to your Facebook profile.
5) For 2 extra entries, share the link to this contest post on Facebook, making sure to show a thumbnail of the product or the sponsor's logo. Then leave TWO separate comments with the link to your Facebook profile.
6) Follow me on Twitter. Then leave a separate comment with the link to your Twitter profile.
7) Tweet about this giveaway linking back to this post. Then come back here and leave the link to your tweet in a separate comment. You may do this once per day until the end of the contest.
8) Subscribe to this blog's feed. Or you can follow me through Blogger or subscribe via email (widget is on sidebar). Then leave a separate comment telling me you did so.
9) Add my button or blog link to your blog's sidebar. Then leave a separate comment with the link to your blog.
(All entries will be verified prior to awarding this prize.)
This contest will be closed on Thursday, December 3rd, 2009 at 11:59pm EST. A random number drawing will be held shortly after. The winner will be announced here and will be contact via email or through their blog. If the winner does not respond within 48 hours, a new number will be drawn.
Good luck in the drawing!