What my 5yr old son and I thought about The Zula Patrol DVDs:
1) These DVDs are packed full of scientific facts. I can only described it to be like an animated science class.
2) One of the episodes in "Moons Mayhem", which contains six episodes, answers questions about which children may wonder, such as what the moon is made of. In that way, I think the show does a good job at reaching early grade school-aged children.
3) Even though the recommended age for children for these DVDs is 4 and up, I do think that some of the topics, but not all, are a little advanced for a preschooler. Some of these topics include phases of the moon, where moonlight comes from, life cycles, and the various roles within an ecosystem.
4) My son seemed to retain more information from "Moons Mayhem" than he did from "Animal Adventures in Space". When I asked him what he learned, he told me that some planets have more than one moon and some planets have none, that some entities like IO have volcanoes that erupt producing a colorful gas that smells like rotten eggs, and that worms work hard.
5) Out of the eleven episodes we watched, my son said he enjoyed "Me, Myself and IO" the most. He also said that he very much liked The Zula Patrol theme song.
I think if your child is even mildly interested in science, then he or she will enjoy The Zula Patrol. Yes, there is too much information to retain, but this also means that these DVDs can be viewed again and again without your child becoming bored.
To learn more about The Zula Patrol, visit Zula.com . For fun and games, visit ZulaWorld.com where your child can create a character and play games for free. If your child has mastered the basic activities, then you will have the option to upgrade to a paid subscription. Check your local listings to find out when The Zula Patrol airs where you live and look for The Zula Patrol DVDs locally and online where children's DVDs are sold.
Thank you to The Zula Patrol for providing us with both a review product and contest prizes free of charge.
What you can win:
One lucky reader will receive 2 The Zula Patrol DVDs ("Animal Adventures in Space" and "Moons Mayhem") .
This giveaway is open to U.S. addresses only. You do not need to be a blogger to enter, but you must have a valid email address and be age 18 years or older. If you enter anonymously and do not include a valid email address in your comment entries, I will not be able to notify you should you win this random drawing.
How to Gain Entries:
Leave a comment telling me what scientific topic you liked to learn about when you were a child. You MUST do this to be eligible to win this contest.
1) For 5 extra entries, leave a relevant comment on one of my non-giveaway posts. Then leave FIVE separate comments with the name of the post on which you commented. You will earn 5 extra entries for each different non-contest post you comment on.
2) For 5 extra entries, enter one of my other contests. Leave FIVE separate comments here telling me which contest you entered. You will earn 5 extra entries for each contest you enter.
3) Add this blog to your Technorati Favorites. Then leave a separate comment telling me you did so and under what username. Add to Technorati Favorites
4) For 10 extra entries, blog about this contest linking back to this post AND ZulaWorld.com . Then come back here and leave TEN separate comments with the link to your blog post.
5) Friend me on Facebook. Then leave a separate comment with your Facebook username.
6) Follow me on Twitter. Then leave a separate comment with the link to your Twitter profile.
7) Tweet about this giveaway linking back to this post. Then come back here and leave the link to your tweet in a separate comment. You may do this once per day until the end of the contest.
8) Subscribe to this blog's feed. Or you can follow me through Blogger or subscribe via email (widget is on sidebar). Then leave a separate comment telling me you did so.
9) Add my button or blog link to your blog's sidebar. Then leave a separate comment with the link to your blog.
(All entries will be verified prior to awarding this prize.)
This contest will be closed on Thursday, September 24th, 2009 at 11:59pm EST. A random number drawing will be held shortly after. The winner will be announced here and will be contact via email or through their blog. If the winner does not respond within 48 hours, a new number will be drawn.
Good luck in the drawing!