The key points of the blogcast were as follows:
TIPS FOR ORGANIZING YOUR CHILD
TIPS FOR THE CLASSROOM
Since my son is entering kindergarten this fall, he will not be carrying much in his backpack and will not have a desk or a locker of his own. The part of the blogcast which applies to us the most is organizing at home. My son's desk has become a catchall in recent months, so in the next two weeks before he starts school, we will need to clear off his desk and reorganize his closet. We need to make a space to store the work he brings home from school that he wishes to keep. The mountain of papers and projects he had brought home from preschool was a huge problem for us. We most certainly need to resolve this storage issue before school starts.
Some of the top tips I heard from Peter regarding preparing for back-to-school were . . .
- Take an inventory of what school supplies you have before you run out to purchase more.
- Envision what you would like your organized space to be like before your purchase any organizational products, rather than buying a whole system of products and then attempting to make it fit your space and your needs.
- Make organization a part of everyday life for your family. (In my case, I am the only person in my household who makes a place for everything and then actually puts things back where they go.)
- Use colors and pictures to help organize your child's space.
- Finish what you start. (My husband is famous for cleaning something and then leaving the roll of paper towels and spray cleaner in a random place.)
Please take a minute to watch Peter Walsh's blogcast below. You will most certainly learn at least one new thing to help your child be more organized.
When you are out looking for all the items on your child's required school supplies list this summer, stop by Office Max to check out the "Schoolio Von Hoolio" back-to-school product line. This coordinating line is adorable and includes folders, notebooks, binders, report covers, note pads, pencils, clipboards, and more.